Friday, January 17, 2014

Spicy Sweet Potato Soup On Rice


First up for new recipes I'm trying this month is a thai flavored soup made of sweet potatoes, ginger, peanut butter, cilantro and lime.  I decided to alter the recipe in order to make it thicker, perfect for eating over rice as a meal.  Here is how I did it:

Spicy Sweet Potato Soup 
original recipe found here on allrecipes.com, makes 8 servings

• 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
• 1/2 c. sour cream
• 1 tsp grated lime zest
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 onion thinly sliced (yellow or white)
• 2 cloves of garlic sliced
• 4 cups chicken stock (I used turkey stock I made from our Thanksgiving heritage turkey)
• 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
• 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
• 1/4 c plus 2 tbsp peanut butter
• 1 lime, juiced
• chopped fresh cilantro
• salt to taste (I don't know that I used any!)
• 1 large roma tomato, seeded and diced

First, I pre-heated the oven to 375F and roasted my sweet potato chunks the night before in order to have them already cooked (cuts down on cooking time the next day substantially).

Combine sour cream and lime zest and allow to sit and flavor (this was amazing and I'm making this for mexican from now on!).  

In a larger pot, heat butter over medium heat until melted.  Add the sliced onion and garlic and cook until softened.  Once soft, add the sweet potatoes, chicken stock, cumin, red pepper, and ginger.  Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.  Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth.  (If you're using a regular mixer, allow to cool a bit and add a little soup at a time, pureeing.  Caution because hot soup can explode in a mixer.  After done pureeing, heat again.) 

Add peanut butter and mix.  Next add the lime juice and mix in well. 

To plate, we simply put some freshly cooked basmati rice on a plate, then ladled on some of the soup, topping with a spoonful of the sour cream mixture, cilantro and tomatoes.  Bon appétit! 


I highly recommend this soup.  We all loved it, Nora ate every last bite each time it's been served (we had enough leftover for 2 more meals).  I think it would be even more amazing with some grilled chicken sliced and placed on top of the soup before the toppings.  We'll be trying it that way soon. 

Mission delicious budget dinner: winner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment