Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Roasting

As mentioned in the previous post I am roasting veggies and a ton of butternut squash.  And since I'm generally camera happy in the kitchen I thought I would show you what I do!
Cut up potatoes (I used baby red skinned ones), carrots, parsnips.  Beets would be good too, and I wish I had grabbed some!  Roast at 425F until they are tender and look like this:


As for the butternut squash you cut them in half and spoon out the seeds and fibrous bits.  Then rub them with olive oil, and season them with salt and pepper.  Next you put a sage leaf or two under their hollow bellies and a couple cloves of garlic (we were surprised to find we were out of garlic, so I will roast some later for the soup), and flip them over, skin side up on a baking sheet.  Bake at 375F for 40-50 minutes, or until their flesh is soft to the touch.  I usually do the bigger ones for closer to 60-70 minutes.  




Then you let them cool on a baker's rack (or the stove, whatever is handy and out of the way).  



Then scoop out the flesh, and mash in a bowl.  Yummy by itself, but great to reserve for some butternut soup!


I had never had any squash until college, and then only zucchini and yellow squash.  I was surprised to find that I love squash, and it's easily made either savory or sweet!  Do you love/hate squash?  Have any recipes that are to die for?  Feel free to comment or e-mail me at kaleemarie (at) yahoo (dot)com !

3 comments:

  1. I actually love squash, and my husband (who eats nearly anything else) doesn't like it! Same goes for most of my family, so I only get squash rarely - that looks SO yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love squash but Casey won't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kalee, nothing says "autumn" for me like butternut and acorn squash. I bake them similar to what you've illustrated, and keeping them halved, place butter, cinnamon and maple syrup in the centers.

    Still not sure if that makes it a "side" dish or dessert!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete