Thursday, February 4, 2010

Working It Out

I think the most important part of Natural Week is the idea that we do these things to take better care of ourselves, the people we love, and the world in general.  I've spent the last couple of years trying to better myself, my body, this life I lead.  Much to my amusement, no maman, I am not wasting away!  But I am eating in a balanced way, making sure I don't eat unhealthy foods in large quantities.  I still eat hamburgers and french fries, but I balance that with a main eating style of fresh fruits and veggies with whole grains and lean proteins.  I don't deny myself delectable treats (I am a true believer in real butter and cream!), but I don't need to eat an entire pie to know it tastes good.  I enjoy working out, the endorphins I get, the way I feel like I set a goal and achieved it.  But I try not to press myself too far.  Yesterday I wanted to do at least 5 miles on the treadmill, but my body said no, and I listened.  That is what it is about.  Quieting the mainstream that tells you that you need to buy/do something and instead listening to your own inner self.  


We don't eat all organics in this house.  Some of it would be pointless.  For my chicken we buy a brand that is not hormone injected or treated with a billion medicines.  We buy organic, unwaxed citrus because I use the peels in things and I don't want it to be mainly chemicals.  But in the end, we listen to our own common sense.  The part of me that tells me that making things myself means less ingredients, more healthy goodness.  The part that tells me that fruits and veggies should be the main component in our lives, with plenty of starches to keep us going.  The part that tells me these 2 flights of stairs to get even an apple is probably the best thing ever!  


This week I just wanted to do some reviews, talk about things that work for us, and even ask for suggestions.  If you have any questions about the way we do things you can e-mail me anytime, I will try and help to the best of my knowledge.  I mainly wanted to open the discussion for simpler ways.  I hope that this week is enjoyable, it's winding down way too quickly!  But I do feel very empowered with this topic, and will revisit it throughout this year as my life changes, as I try new things.  Thank you for letting me do this Natural Week.  I hope it makes you think, as it has definitely made me.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading about ways people are trying to live a simpler, healthier life. I also began this process and even though it can be a bit overwhelming at first, I just keep trying to make a few changes (big or small) every week. I figure if I do as much this year as I did last year I am that much further along. Last night while at the store I bought rice milk for the first time. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete