Thursday, August 26, 2010

False Front?

So yesterday I got brave and went off in search of the shoe store where my doctor had told me a month ago to go for a shoe insert for my foot.  I kept putting it off, and putting it off.  I don't like going to places where I'm not browsing, where I actually have to deal with a  salesperson by myself.  Yes, I know it's something I need to work on.  

But yesterday began as a nightmare.  The store was way out in a town I'd never been, with crazy hills where people seemed destined to cause a 50 car pile up.  And when I finally arrived at my destination, there was nothing.  I couldn't find the store in the shopping center, so I drove around looking at the actual address.  I ended up in a parking space facing an empty store.  To say I was irked is putting it mildly.  I called G.  He assured me that when he called there had been an answering service for the store.  So I called them again (the first time it just rang and rang).  Lo and behold they had moved to a store down the street.  
This was on one of the walls, an excerpt from The Baltimore Sun 1947.  The store is old, apparently.  I tried to alter it so that if you click on it, it is readable.  I found it fascinating, particularly their store hours.  I can tell you they still to this day are open later on Thursdays.  Why?  I have no idea.

It was a tiny trailer type store, I kid you not.  Itsy bitsy.  There was just the man and his daughter (who was at the computer watching some show).  He lifted up my foot, he pushed a certain part, showing me how it would help, and then he brought a plain piece of printer paper and traced my foot.  I felt like I had regressed to elementary school.  What on earth?  But 15 minutes later I was the proud owner of a shoe insert that while at first uncomfortable, in the end I was able to walk around all day yesterday with no pain.  I know that sounds simple, but let me assure you that even going into starbucks yesterday morning caused me to have to pop a pill.  Walking was no really optional, and my kitchen shows the proof (hard to clean when you can't stand for more than a few minutes....also the reason I didn't cook much this week.).  

So it's a miracle that I hope keeps on working.  Even after I took my shoes off last night there was no pain.  Normally I can just lie in bed at night and it's like my feet remember what I did to them that day and it actually hurts the worst then.  Nothing.  Nothing other than children playing outside at 1 in the morning.  Again.  And by the way when I happened to open my door and look out to see what on earth, it was a group of small children, including a toddler.  At 1 a.m.  Aren't my neighbors lovely parents? 

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing in the world worse than sore feet. Actually that's a lie, there ARE worse things but sore feet are up there! Glad to here the inserts are helping and hope they continue to do so.

    Carolyn
    www.project21days.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how frustrating! I hate it when I can't find a place like that. But I am SO goad that you found it and it seems to be working!

    ReplyDelete