Saturday, January 8, 2011

Indian Salad

Last night while grocery shopping we picked up some Trader Joe's Masala Burgers.  We had heard they were good, and they had them at the tasting station tonight so we decided a salad sounded easy and tasty.  I pan cooked them and some onions in ghee (clarified butter....a traditional Indian fat).  I piled our plates with spinach, heirloom cherry tomatoes, chickpeas and then the burgers with the onions.  Sprinkled on some fleur de sel, curry powder, and cayenne pepper. 
It was delicious!  Plenty of veggies (the burgers are vegetarian with potatoes, peppers, corn, etc).  And then for dessert we shared a grapefruit and then I took some marscapone cheese, mixed in a dab of maple syrup and we shared an apple and a banana (the latter with the puppies as well who perk up at the sound of a banana being cracked).  Rounding off the evening with some carbohydrates of french bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  

Salads in the summer are taken for granted, particularly when you're like us with our CSA and ate more salads than you ever imagined you would.  But winter salads are a scrumptious way to pack a vegetable (and thereby nutrients) punch. 

4 comments:

  1. This sounds AMAZING. It has made me wonder if there is a recipe for an Indian stew. Doesn't that sound good? I am a big soup lover and an Indian vegy packed soup sounds divine. If I find one I will let you know.xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really has nothing to do with your current post...though it looks delicious and I think maybe even I could make a salad :)...but I am making homemade pizza today and I am really excited. I have never done this before...and I just felt like I wanted to tell you! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delish lady! Salads are totally taken for granted in the summer. Esp when you have fresh veggies coming from you back yard! I am so ready to get my hands in some dirt again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely to see a salad recipe on your blog when it is summer over here! Something to try this weekend!

    J

    ReplyDelete