Tuesday, May 3, 2011

He Carries My Heart

I began my birthday being sung to by my husband.  Then I was able to drift off to sleep.  I awoke later and after getting all pretty, I got a skype call from G.  I settled in, ready to chat with him a bit when suddenly the screen changed and I could see him!  (for those who might be newer, my husband had an iPad, which doesn't have a camera nor can it have one attached.)  Long story short, he's now the owner of a computer with a cam, and has been patiently waiting for my birthday to show me himself.  He's not usually good at secrets, so I was shocked and teared up a bit.  It was so, so good to see his face. 

We had such a good talk because he could see me react, and I could see him.  I made him get really close so I could see his eye crinkles.  He would get close, puckered up for kisses.  And he got to be on the phone while I opened the kindle he got me for my birthday.   
My grandmama's vintage hat, new sunglasses, and Russian Red lipstick.  And before anyone thinks anything....I had on a strapless dress!

For my birthday my girlfriends took me out for Chinese.  I awoke this morning and texted them that I felt old and eccentric and would be wearing a dress and a hat.  So they too dressed up, and off we went.  The food was good, the company great, and the lovely guys there brought me out a big bowl of ice cream with a candle in it and they all sang to me.  I must say the only bad part of my day was discovering that the baby still is not a fan of Chinese.

Now I'm waiting to speak to G again.  I woke him up (he slept later than normal), and made him get on camera.  My eyes welled up, because that is my husband....all squinty and face scrunched up in the mornings.  He's growing his hair out, so it stuck up a little funny, and he's growing a beard so he had a shadow.  I miss waking up next to him, so this was my way of getting what I miss most as my own little gift. 

For being on my own in this big city I sure did have an amazing birthday.  And a big part of that was G.  Like I told him today, we're lucky because we both wake up each day feeling like we won the world's greatest lottery because of one another.  And that makes any day (birthday or unbirthday) very perfect indeed.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Kalee! You look so chic and that lipstick looks great on you

    xoxo Hermine

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww Happy Birthday! You look gorgeous in that photo! I'm so happy you can see your husband now on the webcam. Mine just left yesterday and I already miss his face. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you.

    Birthday wishes from Paris!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait when was your birthday? Happy Birthday! (mine was Sunday!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!!! You look fabulously chic:) Sounds like you had a great birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so pleased you had a fun birthday. You look smashing for your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable post - love your photo! Happy, happy I hope your year is blessed.
    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, what a sweet post! I love John's eye crinkles too. I think they are so attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FYI: That "Anna" post was from me. I apparently have more than one google account and it posted from the other one which isn't connected to my blog or profile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bow to you, it must be so hard having your hubs abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday! I love that you wore a hat and dressed up according to your style and no one else's. You are wise in counting the blessings in your life as the real gifts; so many people never get to experience love. After I was married, I told my husband he could dispense with gifts for my birthday and for Christmas - no bijoux or big anything could come close to delighting me as much as his devotion and commitment.

    ReplyDelete