Saturday, October 18, 2008

Champagne Chic

As I have mentioned before, I love champagne. Something about how it always seems like an occasion whenever you hear that "pop"! The tingling sensation as you sip your drink. It doesn't matter if you are celebrating a wedding, a new job, or just having time to just the two of you, it makes the occasion that much more special.

Growing up, the closest thing I had to champagne was sparkling wine, and not the good kind. I was not impressed and could not figure out exactly what the big deal was. It wasn't until I was in the process of getting married that I began to really love champagne. Every bridal show my mother and I went to it seemed I had champagne in some way. Either as an accompaniment to cake, as a mimosa, or from a vendor trying to be the liquor provider at a reception. Mmmm. It could be my love of champagne began simply because I was so excited about getting married, but whatever the cause, I did indeed fall in love.

And a whirlwind began. Champagne at the tasting to choose food for the reception. Champagne at my bachelorette party, beginning the night with a bang. I had mimosas while getting my hair done, then champagne at the wedding, the wedding night, the honeymoon, and even the plane ride home from the honeymoon. At my parents house exhausted from our flight (an ordeal that still makes me shudder) we still had to open presents. So at somewhere around midnight, having been up all day, my new husband and I popped another bottle, and sipped the bubbly as we opened the things that would help start our home.

Then my husband flew back to England and I waited a very long 2 months to join him. I was not the most pleasant person to live with. But when I finally joined him in our new home, we unpacked the house, and with no real kitchen or living room furniture to speak of, popped a bottle a friend had given to me at my bachelorette, and sat on the stairs to toast the beginning of our new life.

Now, up until this point I was not really particular as to what type of champagne or sparkling wine I was drinking, as long as it tasted good. But then came New Year's. We were joining some friends for a party, and so Garret and I bought a couple bottles. One was an $18 Mumm Napa sparkling wine, and I have to say that for the price, it has now become our go to short notice sparkler. The other was a bottle of Moet and Chandon. We ended up so sleepy that all we got through that night was the Mumm Napa, so we decided to save the Moet for Valentine's Day---our first together. I made a nice meal, we popped the champagne, and sipped our way to heaven. We didn't drink much that night, instead put a champagne stopper in it (the best piece of equipment to own if you love champagne), and made mimosas the next morning, then had the last of it that night. For our first anniversary we bought a bottle of 1999 Dom Perignon, popped the cork, and had a small glass with a sliver of our wedding cake before heading out for a nice dinner at a local French restaurant. And while we are still looking for a 1990 Dom, which has received wonderful reviews, I have to say overall I was not extremely impressed. It was good. But to me, the Moet and Chandon, while a lesser champagne (though made by the same company) has become my favorite. And at less than $60 a bottle, a much more affordable treat.

So, as Christmas is upon us, we headed out to see what type of champagne they would get in. I was thrilled when I saw that Moet and Chandon as a gift package came with an insulated carrier, in cream and black, which I consider a very chic combination.


My husband and I are interested in trying different champagnes, so suggestions and opinions are always welcome! We have access to Laurent Perrier's pink champagne, Veuve Clicquot, and several others. Any recommendations?



Champagne might seem very frivolous in these more difficult economic times. But I think keeping a little bubbly on hand is like a good luck charm. There will be better times ahead, and when they get here, I am going to be ready to celebrate!

.

1 comment:

  1. Me and my husband are exactly the same, you can't beat a good champagne and keeping a bottle for a special occasion is an absolute must.

    If you can afford it I would recommend trying the Krug 1995 and Dom Perignon champagnes, they are definitely worth the price.

    On the other hand though my favourite champagne has to be Moet, a superb taste and it comes at an affordable price.

    ReplyDelete