Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Christmas Cheer

Garret and I are planning on going to a local Christmas Fayre next weekend. It will have a bunch of stalls and activities, including Christmas carols! While looking up information on the fayre, I found out about a charity run. Now, I haven't ever been a successful runner (although I can whip you in sprinting, generally). Garret has promised to teach me how to run correctly, but we'll see. However, he quite enjoys a good run. This is a run to raise money for EACH (east anglia children's hospice), and it's a Santa run. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you enter, are given a santa outfit, and you run 2-3 km. So next weekend, I will be in Bury St. Edmunds, camera and videocamera in hand ready to document this historic event. Apparantly it will be hundreds of Santas running through the Abbey gardens, and that is a sight not to be missed!

After the run we will search for a place with mulled wine to warm him up. Then maybe catch lunch either at the market or one of the local restaurants. The Fayre is a big event, with many, many vendors. Crepes, Belgian waffles, mulled wine, coffee, suasages, cheese, chestnuts, sugared nuts, all will be available for culinary dlight, and much more. It will be a great time for the two of us to spend together, while getting ready for the Christmas season. That weekend is also when we put up our tree and decorate, but only after Thanksgiving.

Which brings me to panic point. I am still trying to decide if I want to roast a whole turkey or just a breast. We have been roasting turkey breasts more frequently, and I know it would provide plenty of food for the two of us. However, they have small, fresh turkeys in at the store too, and those look mighty tempting. I really need to get out and do the shopping. Thanksgiving lasts the whole week for us, as we make the cranberry sauce a day or two ahead, along with the pies, and this year I am going to try making the sweet potato casserole a day ahead, and just warming it up in the oven with fresh marshmallows on Thanksgiving.

Leave a comment and let me know what you have planned for Thanksgiving. Any special traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment