Friday, January 30, 2009

While I Continue To Wait For Pictures....

Garret and I are feeling quite lovey-dovey lately. In approximately 6 months time we will be moving back to the United States. We're both excited, not because we are moving back to the US (we love you, but the way of life in Europe suits us more), but because we are talking about buying our first home! It's really got us both excited being able to talk realistically about what we would do to this house, or what would need work on that house. It's exciting to think we will be in a place where we can paint and renovate and make a little house into a home. So, with our future in mind, here's a bit about us and the past:

1. Where did you and your husband meet? We like to joke that we met at Penguin Park in KC when we were 4 (both of our parents took us there) but realistically we met when we were 13 in Mr. Schindler's history class.

2. How long before you kissed? Our first "kiss" was when we were 18, but our real first kiss as a couple wasn't until we were 22.

3. Who kissed who first? Both times I was the initiator... the first time I had joked I would, he didn't believe me, and then sat there silently once I did. The second time he claimed he would kiss me first (we began our relationship while he was at tech school, so it was a much discussed event) but he's a chicken and I got to him first.

4. How long from the time you met until you were engaged? Well we met at 13 and got engaged at 22....so 9 years. But we were only together a few months when he proposed.

5. How did he propose? He was getting ready to fly to England the next day, we had just had dinner with both of our parents, and he drove me out under dusk in a field and as I was turned looking at the stars coming in, he dropped to a knee. It was exactly the type of thing I had always wanted.

6. Did he pick out the ring or did you? The first one was one I loved, but in the end it didn't work out because it was uniquely shaped and would have required spending major money to custom design a band for it. So when I went to visit him in London for Christmas he re-proposed with a new one that he picked out.

7. Do you still like the ring? I love it! It's sparkly and fits me (personality and taste wise) perfectly.

8. Where was your wedding and reception? We were married at a church from the 1800's, very simple and stunning. Our reception was in a large ballroom at a Hilton.

9. How many bridesmaids did you have and who was your maid of honor? We each had 2 people stand up with us. My maid of honor was my best friend Theresa, who did a fantastic job of helping me with wedding plans and helping me breathe over things while drinking gallons upon gallons of coffee.

10. What color were your bridesmaid dresses? a pale sage-y green

11. What was your bouquet made of? Peonies, English Garden Roses, and green Hydrangea. The peonies and roses were varying colors of pink.

12. Who gave you away? My Daddy

13.Did you cry during your wedding? Not really, I was just very anxious to see Garret.

14. What style was your dress? Similar to Belle's dress in Beauty and the Beast....it was gathered and then had very intricate beading along the bust of a corset.

16. Who caught your bouquet? My brother's girlfriend at the time Andreya caught a miniature version of mine.....and she is now married! (but not to my brother)

17. What flavor was your cake? The bottom layer was white and the second layer was strawberry, and I think the top was white as well.

18. Did you smash the cake onto each other's faces or feed it to each other nicely? The best picture of the day!!! Garret very quietly said, "And we're not shoving it in the face right?" (I had been very adamant about that) Suddenly a brilliant idea came to me.....I could do it to him and avoid getting any on me! So there is a simply delicious picture of me smirking with cake on my fingers and all over his mouth while I still look dainty.

19. What was "your song" that you danced to at your wedding? As we tend to do things a bit over the top, we had 2 first dances, Rascal Flatts "God Bless the Broken Road" which fit our relationship perfectly (he was my friend that I was never ready for, I dated crap men while he stood by helplessly), and our second was a song called "Greatest Story Ever Told" That starts out with "Thank you for this moment. I've got to say how beautiful you are. Of all the hopes and dreams I could of prayed for, here you are."

20. What did you serve your guests to eat? Wonderful canapes, a coffee bar (with things like cinnamon sticks, chocolate chips, flavorings, real whipped cream...yum), an option of either sesame seed salmon with mustard-lemon grass sauce or macadamia nut chicken with a sweet brandy glaze (we had a special children's menu available as well), and then champagne of course!

21. Where's 21???

22. What was your favorite wedding gift? The recipe to a pecan pie I have been after for over a decade delivered with a large glass pie dish, the rolling pin I wanted, and a bag of pecan halves.

23. What was the worst wedding gift you got? Nothing was bad actually. We did get a lot of picture frames we have never used because they are all wedding ones that don't match.

24. Where did you go on your honeymoon? A week long cruise that stopped off at Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman and Belize.

25. Looking back, is there anything you would have changed about your wedding? Hmmm, it was pretty dang fabulous. I loved the harpist we had play at the wedding, so I think the only thing I would have changed would have been a 4 string quartet to accompany her.

Garret and I have been best friends for all of my adult life (and part of my life as a teenager), so the wedding was the perfect culmination of who we are. Elegant but relaxed. When my dad stepped on my dress while walking to the church there are some humorous pics of me standing as still as possible while they sewed part of my dress. The cake was perfect (several people told me it looked like something from a Food Network deal) but when the mints turned out to be without any mint flavoring I just ignored it. And while I looked like the princess that most girls want to be on their wedding day, I tested each dress I tried on for my ability to shake my ass in it (anyone who knows me knows that the ability to dance was a must). The wedding cake was gorgeous and I was uber proud of picking something that fit the day wonderfully, but I was more proud of the Colorado Avalanche hockey puck I surprised Garret with as a groom's cake.

My recent cruise was the last solo adventure I plan on taking without Garret. Although I had a blast, I have learned it's always more fun with him around. And also.....two women who both suck at directions should not be let loose anywhere, especially in Egypt! Garret is great with directions and making sure we get where we want to get, so that would have come in handy!

I am waiting on several discs of pictures from the friend I cruised with (hopefully I will get them this weekend) and then the most choice ones will be posted for your enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment