Monday, November 2, 2009

Homesick

Lately I get whiny a lot.  Some days I even cry....in the grocery store.  Oh, it doesn't take much, just seeing a can of Heinz beans and missing going to a pub for breakfast is enough to do it.  Because, well, as much as I was glad to leave G's job, I miss England.  We both do.  


It's strange to feel out of place in your own home country.  But we do.  We miss market days (yes they have them here, complete with rude people who run over your feet with a stroller and never notice, much less care, and no people yelling hawking their goods).  We miss coffee at the Portuguese grocer.  We miss the abbeys, the nature reserves, the tea.  We miss the slower pace, the store keepers who don't get in your face, the excitement this time of year because of preparing for Christmas fayres, not because of crazy materialism.  





I don't want anyone thinking I hate the US, I don't.  It has it's perks (certainly one is that not everything is closed after 5 p.m. here).  And we're adjusting, but just enough to make do, because we want to leave.  We thought we would stay here for 8, maybe even 12 years, and now all we talk of when the topic comes up is of going home.  Maybe England, hopefully Belgium, and we would not scoff at Germany.  And as a pick me up, I decided to post pics of England.  Enjoy!


















3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I miss Texas so much. Sometimes I think of the line in the song I'm moving on "I never dreamed home would end up where I don't belong". But I'm going to tell you what I tell myself - we live here now and we need to enjoy that! It's ok to have a plan for the future, but don't get so caught up in where you were or where you're going that you miss out on what's right here, right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I've been enjoying your blog for awhile now, after I saw the link to it on the FrenchChic group. My name is Catherine, and I live in Canada. When I read today's post, I figured I really should write you a note...you might want to Google 're-entry shock'. I've lived abroad several times in my life, and always go through re-entry shock when I come home. It's a normal process people go through, and isn't too well known.

    Take care and bye for now,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm not liking the thought of going back home too much right now. I've always felt out of place in the US, especially Missouri.

    ReplyDelete