Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Kitchen Slave

Lately I seem to be cooking up a storm.  Tonight was no different.  Last night I sat down and worked out a menu plan for this week.  Since it's the pre-game for Christmas, and we're busy putting the house together I thought it might simplify my life a bit.  Included in this week is lots of salad, quiche (half of which I will freeze for next week.....half of one gets us 2 meals), and my chicken and potato soup. 


Tonight we had the second cornish game hen (they come in a 2 pack, each being enough for us to have a meal or two from).  We left the legs and thighs for tomorrow, and ate it with a large salad and spaghetti squash.  It was our first time ever having spaghetti squash, but G is now wanting to go back for a half dozen or so more!  






Dinner:  Breast and wing of cornish hen, spaghetti squash (recipe to follow) and a red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, spinach, chickpea, goat's cheese and tomato salad.  


However my work was not done yet!  I have since separated the pulp from the seeds and will be roasting the seeds for a snack.  The hen's giblets were boiled, and the juice from the roasted bird was added.  I cooked it for about 2 1/2 hours, tenderizing some of the tougher bits.  Then I pulled the meat out, and ended up with about a quart of chicken broth that will be frozen to use on Sunday for the soup.  It tastes yummy, and by doing that and boiling the bone-in chicken pieces of Sunday I won't have to buy any stock or broth!  Frugal, and not wasteful.  Once the seeds are done I will be making a batch of scones so that tomorrow and Thursday (the days G works later) we can have afternoon tea when he gets home.



I feel best when I'm busy in the kitchen like this.  Right now we have a kettle of water on to make a pot of earl grey.  A post on my other blog will show some pics from around my kitchen, such as my packed refrigerator.  Because we usually only buy for a day or two at a time, my refrigerator is usually pretty empty.  Now, and until after Christmas, things are going to be a little more full!  


Spaghetti Squash:


1 spaghetti squash
Butter
Salt and Pepper


Pre-heat oven to 350F.  Cut squash in half lengthwise, use spoon to de-seed and remove pulp (similar to how you prepare a pumpkin).  Rub a little bit of olive oil over the flesh and turn over (skin side up) onto a baking sheet).  Bake for 40-45 minutes.  Take out, and carefully (I used an oven mitt to hold it in place) use a fork to scrape out the flesh (I scraped it until I reached the skin).  Put into a bowl and while still hot put pats of butter in and mix to melt.  Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!


This tasted a bit like corn or hashbrowns, we couldn't decide which.  But we're planning on trying it as a breakfast thing some morning!

1 comment:

  1. Spaghetti squash is my favorite squash! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete