Monday, May 10, 2010

En Français

I talked last night about how we picked up The Rosetta Stone for G to learn French and for me to refresh my language skills.  We picked up the full 5 level set so that hopefully if we are able to plan a trip to Paris this year it will go very smoothly.  The 5 level set includes things such as apt. renting and whatnot in case you want to move there, but I figure it will come in handy if we want to rent an apt. for a week.  

But it isn't just about the computer program.  G will be spending time daily with that, as well as listening to the cd's in the car on his way to work.  However, it will be more about immersion.  You learn best in a forced situation, where it's do or die, so at some point in the (near) future, it will be mainly en français in our home.  

Once G has gotten through the first 2 levels he should know basic terminology, including cooking terms.  I think it will be a blast to make French meals this summer while speaking French.  And we know of a priest here in the city who speaks French, so I am hoping to track down where he is regularly (he's been at our church a few times filling in.....our priest has two churches right now).  

It's exciting for G to be able to share this with me.  He loves when I speak French.  But gets jealous when I speak it with other men, so hopefully this will help.  

Have you considered learning another language?  Interested in a review of the product as we go along?  

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear the review! I think learning a language is a very individual thing, and what works for one can be brilliant/terrible for someone else. But I have heard such good things about the Rosetta program, and you and G seem to have a really good plan for regular study/listening, so I'll be really interested to see how you both go - especially with you both being at different levels and wanting different things from the program.

    I really like the idea of being able to listen to the program in the car! There are some applications to learn french available for the iphone......if you and G give this a positive review, I might need to check the Rosetta Stone one of those out!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NO language skills. Like none. I took French and all I remember is how to say "the baby cries" and "the fat man eats and eats and eats". Not so handy in the real world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey wants to better his German skills and I want to learn German.

    ReplyDelete