Thursday, July 29, 2010

Trivia

So on Wednesdays there is a trivia night at a restaurant in Federal Hill, Mad River.  I heard about it through Patti (who is one of the friendliest, most fun people I've met since moving here to the city), a woman I socialize with through my wine drinking group, but the past couple weeks we couldn't make it.  Last night G and I decided we were going, and good thing, the other people cancelled!  So it was the three of us, and neither G or I had ever done trivia before.  I was sure we were going to be up a creek without a paddle.  However as we went along I realized, holy cow, we're actually doing quite well.  We probably won't place, but hey, we won't be so embarrassed we leave early either. 
And G did fantastic!  Who was the pope who changed the calendar to our current version because the last one was knocking us off by 11 minutes each year?  Pope Gregory!  (the Gregorian calendar) What is some symbol for a specific thing in math?  G guessed correctly that it was an exclamation mark!  We got 3 out of the 4 bonus questions.  And the final question (where you can bet up to 40 points, if you have them) was to put these in order by area, starting with the largest: (I'll list them correctly for you) E.U., India, and Greenland.  We debated a bit, ended up writing that down and betting 40 points.  We got it right!  
With my black bangle on over it!
In the end, out of 22 teams, we placed 3rd!!!  With just 3 people (you can have up to 8 on a team), we did quite well!  So we won $10 to use next week when we go.  That will buy each of us a beer and leave a couple dollars for whoever decides to join us.  And I got a nifty yellow arm band (not sure why).  Most exciting and we now have a standing Wednesday night date!

(I have a photo of the 3 of us after our victory, but forgot to ask if she minded if I post it!)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like another fun night for you and G -- Trivia Sharks! Events like this are such a great way to build your own community. We missed our regular jazz night yesterday due to the rain - bummer.

    ReplyDelete