Monday, September 6, 2010

And I'm Back!

I started, even completed, several posts this past week while we were visiting family.  But either I couldn't get the pictures to load or the post didn't sound how I wanted it to, and so I just left it.  It was nice to have the break.  We got back into Baltimore about noon today and my house smelled like nothing.  The air hadn't been on, we hadn't been home cooking, no candles had been lit and so to fix that problem we went to the store, grabbed some maple syrup and bacon and decided pancakes with bacon and hot tea was what was called for!  (It didn't help that as soon as we got home I picked up the Little House book I had forgotten!)

The week was so busy it was exhausting.  Literally every day, every night we had something we were doing.  And we still didn't get to see everyone we wanted to!  It's been a hard balance, going home, and trying to see everyone in one go.  Some people's feelings get hurt, some understand and we chat and re-schedule, but we do what we can.  We love seeing everyone, but boy is it madness!  

On the drive home it got really cold at night, enough I was wrapped up in my scarf to even walk into a building.  I got so excited!  The heat has been too much for me and I am looking forward to another crazy winter of a soup pot on the stove and a kettle on water on constantly.  I'm hoping to take a couple knitting classes soon, and one will be knitting socks so that I can knit some warm wool ones for G and I.  Maybe I'll even go crazy and knit some for the dogs....hey, their feet get cold too!  I'm just excited for the homey feeling our house gets in the colder weather.  I became much more of a busy bee then, cleaning, cooking, sewing, knitting, and it feels more like me.  Where can we move that it's just enough summer to grow a good veggie garden but it's cold most of the year? 

2 comments:

  1. I believe the place you're looking for is England, but I'm in no hurry for you to move that far away again.

    And as far as visiting everyone goes, I understand it very well, and I'm within 2 hours of just about everyone (except you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! I understand totally what you're saying. You *think* you're going on holiday because you'll be seeing your family and friends, but it always ends up the same - rushing around visiting (and don't get me wrong, it's fun), trying to fit everyone in, that in the end arriving home feels like the holiday. The bliss of walking in your front door, your own space, just the two of you. Lovely. You're making me want to start reading Little House again.

    ReplyDelete