Wednesday, April 13, 2011

3:30 a.m.

I can't get Sara Bareilles song "Uncharted" out of my head.  It has haunted me for hours, even after I finally turned the radio to another song.  There's a line near the end that states:

"Compare where you are to where you wanna be and you'll get nowhere."

I'm guilty of that too often.  Of looking so far into the future I fail to enjoy the moments all around me right now.  I fail to see the times when something occurs that leads me to a future I've been praying for the whole time.  I need to learn to step back.

I've found the truth most universal to everyone is that if you take the time to pause and really notice the life you already have, that there are surprises and bounty aplenty.  You don't need to stare so far down a road when a glorious view is right there beside you.

So while I'm here looking forward to September and getting to just touch G's face again I'm also appreciating all these little moments that will change how he and I are towards one another.  We better understand what we have because we've learned to do without.  And surviving is not the same as thriving, but I'm dancing anyway.

7 comments:

  1. Such a great line and I think so many of us are guilty of this. Sometimes we are so anxious for time to pass we forget to live in the moment and miss the chance to cherish truly great memories. Thanks for your sweet comment about my blog boutique.... you put a big smile on my face! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote--it's so true! I'm gonna write that down and stick it somewhere I can see it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's also good to look back whence you came. When I consider all the steps that need to be fulfilled in order for me to be living my ideal life, I get a little discouraged because there are MANY steps. But I also glance back at all the steps that have been taken and feel proud.

    I've learned to relax in the process and give it to God. It really, really is about the journey. I'm never going to develop into a serene, patient person, and that's okay. But it doesn't mean I am allowed to pine away the days before me so I can transport myself to a distant destination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. September - Wow, that's only two seasons away, depending on how you look at it! We're just into Spring, right? So just summer and then he's home! Good luck and happy waiting. Just dance! (Thanks so much for entering my two giveaways! Good luck!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen:) I feel like I haven't seen you in awhile (blog wise). Love catching up with your thoughts. Enjoy your day!!xoxoxoxoxo from California!!
    Ping

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMEN!
    I just said to Joel the other day, "It does not get better than this" while the kids were loud and driving us crazy, trying to get dinner on, dreaming of time alone... "If we keep waiting for it to get better than we are fools!"
    Thanks for your kind words about my sister's shower!
    Angela,
    Parisienne Farmgirl
    Looking forward to September with you.

    ReplyDelete