Monday, May 28, 2012

Some Men Don't Come Home

That's a reality.  There are brave men and women who come home from war and then there are those who are transported home.  Before G left for Iraq a year ago, I made myself accept that both of those paths were possible. 

I was one of the lucky spouses.  I dealt with a surprise pregnancy (we call her our little deployment baby), but at 6 months pregnant (in high heels mind you), I ran towards my husband in an airport.  Because I was one of the lucky ones. 

I come from a family with people who have been in nearly every branch of the military.  The reality is that no matter our politics, there are men and women who are willing to die to protect us and our rights.  We should honor them every day.  And I am happy to say that many come up to G to thank him for his service, from older people to teenagers (yes, actual teenagers have thanked him).  Today we remember those who haven't come home.  Those who sacrificed their lives in order for us to have ours.

If you haven't seen the film Taking Chance with Kevin Bacon, I highly recommend it.  It's a story of a journey home.  

Happy Memorial Day.  Please remember to thank those you know who serve.  It does matter, and they are honored to do it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you to Garret for all that he has done for our country!
    I agree, it is important to thank those who have served or are serving often! With that, it's important to honor those who have not made it back and remember that they still have families in pain!

    Thank you, Kate!
    I can only imagine the sacrifices made by the families! Every soldier has parents, a spouse, or children that must endure the deployment and miss out on so much! It's the service of one and the sacrific of many!

    ReplyDelete