Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Thoughtful Tuesday

I came across this quote while searching for a recipe and immediately wrote it out on the board in our kitchen.  Quality really is a choice.  Whether we're discussing life, food, books, or friends, quality should be the goal.

I think most of us at one time or another have thought that "if only this happened, life would be better."  But the reality is I don't believe that's true.  I don't think anything specific has to happen to have a better life, a life of quality.  Though I can easily (and often do) get off course, I've managed to maintain this same lifestyle through different seasons of my life.  When I was single I began teaching myself how to cook and bake.  When I was first married, I worked harder on that even though we were on a shoestring budget.  We explored wines, cheeses, and food that was particular to the area....discovering the deliciousness that is wood pigeon.

Then we moved back to the U.S. and we got more interested in culture.  Museums, jazz events, modern opera, wine tastings, etc.  We continued to add quality to our life.  I began to experiment more with different foods (particularly seafood).  And then with the arrival of Nora, life did indeed change.

However, Nora is turning out to be quite the foodie.  We have an 8 month old who threw a tantrum when there was no more quiche.  Who has loved every single thing we've given her.  So, with the exception of things she can't have yet (cow's milk and honey), we haven't had to think too hard when cooking.  Tonight G is making leek and potato soup for dinner and that will be what she is having too.  We've attended an string orchestra performance at a local museum.  We have spent time (hours) enjoying coffee at cafes.  If anything, this season of our life has caused me to pause and slow down to enjoy life more. 

Of course we could lead a different life.  Easily.  But this is the one we've chosen, through careful intentions.  And though we continue to tweak things and muddle through at times, I think I would say that quality of life is how we make decisions.  Our life is in no way accidental.

2 comments:

  1. Love the quote! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me sometimes. You have come to conclusions in life that it takes a lot of us years to realize.

    I just love reading your posts, about your joys in life, that wonderful husband you have and that beautiful Nora. I also like that you are honest, not just at times with your readers but specifically with yourself, about some of your issues and concerns.

    That little girl is so very lucky to have a Mum who is exposing her to so much so early in life, good food and culture to name just two things. I'm sure she will grow up to be remarkable, like her Mum.

    ReplyDelete