Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sunday Brunch Time!

Today we decided to sleep in a bit, and then get up for a large brunch.  I picked up eggs from our local farm on Friday (so they are super fresh and yummy!), and with chard from our CSA, I knew I wanted to do a mixed British and Southern style breakfast. 
First I oven baked the bacon (from our whole pig we bought last year).  Easy peasy.  Set your oven to 400°F and put them on either  baking sheet lined with parchment or a baking sheet with a heat safe cooling rack (like I did).  When the grease dripped down, I tilted it into my cast iron pans for sauteing up the chard with garlic.  Sliced some of the homemade bread, toasted it.  Cut up a tomato.  And G used Smitten Kitchen's method to poach eggs!  (Which turned out fantastic....G says the swirling method made all the difference.)
Nora had the same thing.  She basically ate all the veggies (including wanting hot sauce on her greens), and most of her egg and bacon.
Look at that beautiful egg!

Then I took some watermelon I cut up last night, mixed it with some grapes and the small strawberries from our CSA.  Simple fruit salad for dessert.  
Don't you just love a good brunch?  We're planning to begin hosting them for friends as a way to get together simply. 

1 comment:

  1. Breakfast is my favorite meal. I bake bacon also, will do a whole pound of it (sometimes two) at at time, then let it cool and store it in the freezer in a ziploc. Really makes it easy to pull together an omelette, quiche, BLT, whatever.

    Amities,
    Marsi

    ReplyDelete