Sunday, July 19, 2009

When It Rains It Pours

It has been raining up a storm here in England. It's been such a beautiful summer, perhaps this is God's way of showing me it's time to move on. I've been having a hard time imagining no longer living here in England, but this is just the nudge I've needed to remind me I am ready to go home, even if to hot and humid Missouri.

We're slowly checking things off of our list. Garret is going to finance, housing and TMO (which is the office that deals with moving our things) tomorrow to set up the move. We're aiming at a week from this Tuesday having the movers come and get our things out. That way we can clean that night and Wednesday morning and have housing come to inspect either Wednesday afternoon or Thursday. We'll spend the rest of our time in the base hotel, until we head to London on Sunday. I'm really hoping we can squeeze in a trip this weekend, if the weather cooperates!

Garret also took the car to have the yearly inspection today. It didn't pass. For a 13 year old car this isn't all that surprising, but since we put 4 brand new tires on it last year, and it was one of the tires this year that's the main problem, it's a little discouraging. The people there are calling around early tomorrow to find the cheapest parts they can get (this car place has been wonderful in working with us) since it's one tire and a hose that needs replacing. So while I am stressed that more money is being poured into a car that we're selling in less than 2 weeks, I am thankful for it being less of a problem than last year! I'm also grateful that we have been smart and saved for these rainy days, even if I hate that there has been so much lately we had to save for!

I've been thinking a lot lately about how lucky I am to be married to a man who strives to do his best, and how I need to back off from expecting perfection. He does need some gentle reminding about things (because with everything going on, he inevitably forgets something) but he's taken care of setting up a new bank account (since our bank here is only for here and we have to close it), scheduling the antiques assessment and getting that entered in on time, booking Sophie's flight, and dealing with moving things that I cannot help with. All while getting very little sleep some days because he insists on "us time." Today for instance he got off work at 10 am, came home to a sleeping wife, curled up with her on the couch, and still got up at noon to take the car to the inspection. I am slowly learning how blessed I am by a husband who thinks I am the most important part of the day.

As I look around me at a house with boxes stacked up and a list of household things that need to be done as long as my arm I am choosing to be thankful. We have nice things, a fairly comfortable life, but most of all we have each other. And if being on our own away from family and friends for 2 years has taught me anything, it's that we can survive anything with the other by our side.

1 comment:

  1. Your Aunt and I discovered that being away from family and on our own for 3 years actually helped us in many ways.
    --Jeff

    ReplyDelete