Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Learning

Being home has been an eye opening experience in my marriage. In England, G and I would fight, but once it was done, it was done, and no one really knew about it. Here, our disagreements are on display since usually we are not alone. And yes, it means there are other people there to laugh about it and tease us about how I'm yelling one minute and on his lap the next, or how he went from moody to pulling me on his lap. But it also means it's all embarrassingly on display. I think my family in particular finds it both amusing and annoying. And my grandmama is sure sick of seeing us kiss!

But that's how we are. Most people see us in cute mode only, because for the average person, they are only around us long enough to see that. But living around family? They get the whole gamut. I am mildly embarrassed to say it was only last week, when I was stressed about car financing, and feeling like it was all on my shoulders that I shouted to G as I stormed into the house (and in front of my grandmama and Daddy) that he could quote, "Get his shit and get out!"

Now, other married couples will generally attest to this happening occasionally. It natural when you are with someone as often as G and I are to grate on each other a bit. But it's made me more acutely aware of exactly how silly we sound when we're mad. It never lasts long, we're giggling and kissing in no time, with plenty of apologies. And now we have the added bonus of having family members tease us about it. We knew we would fight a lot here, because of the added stresses of cars/housing/moving, but also because we've been less alone in the 2 weeks we've been here than in the 2 years we have been married. When we wanted alone time, we could have it. It's a hard adjustment going from two people to too many!

But right now, he's asleep. I just finished True Blood a bit ago. And all I can think is, as much as he drives me crazy, I adore him. For the things like getting a new cell, and deciding that texting me "I love you. Love, Your Husband." with an attached picture of him.......from across the room was the best use of his time. Sometimes he's too cute, and I have to pinch myself. Cheesy or not, I never doubt how much he loves me.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel, I grew up in a tight knit family and we still are so everybody knows everything and likes to lovingly pick at each other.

    ReplyDelete