Monday, March 19, 2012

Small Things Are Miraculous


I was asked to participate in a gathered thoughts writing prompt link up for LoveFeastTable.  They have a Gathered Thoughts wooden box with 365 pieces of thick paper with thought provoking words. I got to choose a writing prompt and I went with:

"People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on Earth. Everyday we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child---our own two eyes. All is a miracle."  Thich Nhat Hanh

For me, this was incredibly thought provoking.  I tend to think that I need to do big things.  That I have to be a super wife, and a super mom, and a super friend.  Go big or go home sort of thing.

But since having Nora I have begun to delight in the small things.  In the 2 years we've lived here, never before had I walked the 10 blocks to get coffee, except a few times on a market day with G.  In choosing to walk up there several times a week, I've seen so much beauty.  The tulip tree that is wide and blooming.  The tiny crocus that peeked out early in February thanks to a warm year.  The sidewalk chalk drawings of children in the neighborhood.  And the wind!  Nora loves to have a gentle wind blowing on her face.  She leans into it, closes her eyes and smiles.

Life is a miracle.  The small things are tiny pieces of a puzzle that turns into a beautiful life.  Pause.  Enjoy them.

2 comments:

  1. I love your quote...and that gentle reminder it is the day to day journey that's the miracle. Thank you for the simple reminder...and for linking up with us at the table.
    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea that the small turns into a larger, beautiful piece!

    ~Samantha
    http://www.thepeanutsgang.com/2012/03/gathered-thoughts-party.html

    ReplyDelete