Monday, March 12, 2012

Working In The Kitchen

This last week I made:

* Baked oatmeal with blueberries, walnuts and bananas.  The next time I make this I'm omitting the chocolate...too sweet.  But I've frozen half of it to munch on for breakfasts.
* Two batches of pancakes. We froze them for quick breakfasts.
* A quiche lorraine with the addition of spinach.
* Yogurt spiced pound cake
* A roast, with paper thin crispy roasted potatoes, gravy, roasted carrots and salad galore (this is what we ate all weekend while exhausted).
* Sliced up french bread that I spread with a compound butter I made (butter, sea salt, herbes de provence), that I froze for a later meal.
* 5-6 quarts of beef stock, made from the beef bones I got as part of our cow. Took 10 hours, I thought I was losing my mind.
* Beef tallow (from the top of the stock once cooled) to use in baking.
* Homemade refried beans using lard from our pig that I used to make a dozen bean and cheese burritos to freeze for quick meals.
* Salsa, mostly to freeze to go with the burritos.

I did all of that while dealing with a 3 1/2 month old whose teething kept us up until 6:30 and 5 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  It seems a bit insane, but it felt good to be that productive.  My biggest accomplishment was not in just making everything (and everything except the quiche and oatmeal was made from Friday-Sunday), but that I cleaned as I went, so Sunday morning with the stock cooling in containers, the dishes were done and I could go to bed without a disastrous kitchen. 

Now I'm off to finish making breakfast burritos.  I already cooked the sausage and sauteed the onion and red pepper, so now I just have to cook the eggs and spinach and roll them up to freeze.  I'm also planning to cook some taco meat this week to freeze, and maybe a meat loaf or two.  I feel like I'm nesting, but it's working out well!

1 comment:

  1. You must be exhausted, but I know what you mean about using that exhausted energy to cook up a storm. When I have my nights of insomnia, you can usually find me in the kitchen at 3 AM mixing turkey burgers to freeze or portioning out fruit smoothies for my husband to make later.

    ReplyDelete