Friday, October 5, 2012

Taste The Season

If anyone can tell me what the top of that box says, they win a prize...we've been wondering for ages!
I love this season.  Fall or Autumn, however you want to call it, it's beautiful and bountiful.  Don't get me wrong, I love all the produce the summer brings.  But as the tips of leaves become tinged with gold and the cooler winds usher in the crisp apples and juicy figs, I am in heaven.
A couple weekends ago we drove 2 1/2 hours north, up to Pennsylvania for an organic apple festival.  Because we pick up our CSA from the farmer's markets on Saturday we didn't really arrive in time to pick our own apples, much to my sadness.  However we picked a few and then bought 2 bushels of apples for pies and applesauce. 
 I still have over 80 lbs to make into applesauce, which is getting done this weekend. 
Pears are in season and there is nothing like their sweetness.  Whenever Nora sees me with one she chases me around trying to get to it.  So we've been stocking up big time! Tonight we also grabbed a couple pounds of figs at Trader Joe, and they have been so good that I told G we need to go back and get about 6 more pounds so I can put away so fig preserves for the winter.  That with some cheese and wine will make a delicious lunch later on.
We've also been digging in to our root veggies.  Roasted beets are one of my favorites.  But don't forget the beet greens!  Saute them in a little lard with fresh chopped garlic and then cook until well wilted and season with hot sauce.  So delicious!  I'm also planning to make a root vegetable soup this weekend with carrots, turnips and parsnips.  I'll let you know how it turns out!

How do you welcome in the season?  Apple cider and homemade pumpkin spice lattes are some of our favorite cozy afternoon drinks.  Perfect to sip on before taking walks under the changing trees. 

1 comment: