Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Tempting Tempeh

After trying a local cafe that is mainly vegetarian/vegan I fell in love with tempeh.  It's a meatier type of fermented soybeans, and tastes wonderful.  I'm careful about soy because anything unfermented (ahem, soy milk) can be really harmful, particularly if you're a woman because it messes with your hormones.

In a pinch I decided to throw together a dinner, and it turned out so damn good I thought I'd share it with you!

Tempeh Fajitas

• 1 small package of tempeh.  I think ours was supposed to be 2 servings, but we split it amongst the 3 of us.
• 1 red bell pepper
• 1 yellow bell pepper
• 1 small-medium red onion
• couple handfuls of grape tomatoes, sliced into halves or quarters
• cilantro-lime tortillas
• hummus (we used roasted garlic hummus)
• salt
• pepper
• cilantro (I used dried)
• harissa (optional)
• olive oil/coconut oil/lard....basically some fat (I don't recommend things like basic veggie oil)

Gently heat oil in a pan over medium/medium-low heat.  Add peppers and onion and cook until softened.  Crumble tempeh in pan, adding a little more oil if necessary.  I then added about a Tbsp of harissa, a spicy red pepper and tomato paste.  Mix to combine and let cook and brown up a bit.

While that is cooking, spread hummus down the middle of a tortilla.

Add tomatoes and seasoning and let cook until tomatoes have softened a bit.  Scoop delicious mixture onto the hummus.  You could add a little sour cream, but I found the hummus was perfect.  Fold like a taco and enjoy!

This was one of my more tasty creations...even Nora couldn't get enough and demanded more loudly.  Hope you enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of soy products either, but I think I'll give these a try! Everything tastes better wrapped in a tortilla with peppers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally copied this and sent it to Karl for a possible dinner in the near future. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete