Monday, July 29, 2013

Lentil Tacos






I've been meaning to try lentil tacos for a while now.  I love lentils.  They are quick cooking, nutritious (decent source of fiber, high protein), and take on flavor beautifully.  And honestly, the texture of browned meat at home is not my favorite (unless I can pulverize it).  This recipe was delicious, with some slight tweaks. Here's how I modified it:


Lentil Tacos (original recipe found at preventionrd.com)

*I tripled the recipe so that we had plenty of leftovers.  Tripling it made enough for about 4 meals for 2 adults and a small child (Nora eats as much as a 5 year old usually). When tripling, use a larger pot.

• A few Tbsp of olive oil for the onions (I would use lard if I had any on hand.)
• 1/2 an onion, finely chopped (I used red)
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed (I used a mix of different types)
taco seasoning (I used my from scratch and used quite a bit...we like it well spiced)
• 2 1/2 cups water
• Normal taco fixings: tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, etc.

In a skillet (she recommends non-stick, but since I absolutely never recommend anything with non-stick coating, I just used my stainless steel and it worked perfectly), heat oil until hot.  Add onions and cook until softened.  Then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. 

Add the lentils and taco seasoning, stir and cook for 1 minute.  Then add the water, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.  Uncover and cook for 6-8 minutes until thickened (liquid reduced). 

For my sour cream, we recently picked up this organic European-style sour cream by Wallaby.  I am in no way affiliated with them, but I have to share that this is the most amazing stuff ever, using real cream to make it.  It is super thick and flavorful, so while higher in calories (slightly), you don't need as much and it's to. die. for.  So, knew I needed to share. 

We used Middle Eastern lavash bread, quartered into triangles for our taco "shells."  We've been keeping this on hand for quick wraps (hummus, avocado, tomato and onion...yum!) and it worked perfectly.  Served the tacos with Amy's refried beans with green chiles.  And we tried out Organic Valley's new grassfed monterey jack cheese....delicious! 

I will write more later on the reasons why we've really begun substituting things for meat, but let me tell you, you will want to try this recipe....we've already decided it's going on the menu every couple of weeks!

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking the same thing about eating meatless more. I don't I ever told you that i tried yourtaco mix, and I tried it with kidney beans, the bomb! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete