Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Art of Entertaining

I am sure it is an art, just one that I have not mastered yet.  But I keep trying.  A couple weeks ago I decided to make meatless chili (using chili beans, lentils, tempeh, and what turned out to be yellow split peas rather than lentils).  I had invited a friend to dinner and then another friend came as well.  The chili turned out delicious, a bottle of wine and 2 bottles of bubbly were consumed.  There was laughter and discussions on how we must do this more often.  Nora entertained. 

And really we must do it more often.  The inviting someone into our home, allowing them to become a part of our life in a more authentic way.  I am a mama to a toddler, wife to a man who balances both work and university and my home is often untidy.  But I can light candles, prepare food, and learn to say screw someone who judges me based upon the state of my house. 

So, I'm planning an autumn tea menu.  Simple fare, good tea, and a cozy autumn afternoon (I hope the weather cools down soon).  We've talked with friends about planning a night with the butternut apple bisque, hot cider and mulled wine.  And I've opened the invitation for people to drop by.  My house is still being moved about, so it may not be ready, but I am.  I'm ready to let go of the pursuit of perfection. 

I disappeared for oh, a month or so from here.  It's been well spent.  I needed to give myself some time as the due date before we miscarried is approaching in a month.  There are times I stop to think, "I would be huge right now."  There are days I spend curled up crying.  I have needed to learn to be gentler with myself, to allow myself to not be so stoic.  And I've also made effort to just relax away from the computer a bit, with games and books and walks.  I've had my parents visit, and friends over for coffee or drinks.

If I can entertain, in the midst of what feels like a choppy storm, then I know any of you can as well.  I hope that my future posts (involving menus and ideas for ease) will help usher in a revival of entertaining in the home that seems to be slowing eroding from our culture.  So, please, join me at the table as we all muddle through. 

5 comments:

  1. A topic so close to my heart:)People just want to be invited and welcome in your home despite that your home is untidy. For sure the art of entertaining is slowing eroding in Asia too. Also, glad to know that you've taken some time for yourself and unplugged for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Your honesty is so refreshing, and makes you very relatable.

    I, too, have been needing to take a break from being online so much. Unfortunately for me, I'm alone most of the time and live in the middle of nowhere, so the internet has become a necessity to fill my days and keep me sane. But, as the cool weather approaches, I'd like to cut down on how much time I'm in front of a computer and replace it with reading and walking and working through some of the issues I have in my life right now.

    And this really hit home with me: "I have needed to learn to be gentler with myself, to allow myself to not be so stoic."

    I'm still learning, but I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one :)

    (On a completely unrelated note: The Bliss body lotion you sent me is amazing. I love how it's not greasy at all, and it smells divine! I think I'll have to go order more online once I'm out!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to let go of being perfect when entertaining and with life in general too. That's so important. There's an article in September's Glamour written by a woman who urges other females to stop trying to be amazing at everything. What this post really reminds of though is the book bread & wine by Shauna Niequist. I know that I recommended it to you before; have you read it yet? I think you would relate to it even more than I did. A small head's up though- she has happened to miscarry. I hope you'll find a kindred spirit and some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post touched me today. God Bless, Bess

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post and something I needed to hear. I get caught up in perfectionism and the end result is it stops me from being who I really want to be. I would love to entertain more as well.

    ReplyDelete